Hello Beautiful People!
April Ellington and Edward Kennedy Ellington, are the daughter and son of legendary jazz musician, Edward Kennedy “DUKE” Ellington, who recently performed at the 16th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration held in Toronto. It was a televised event; and of course, as their Makeup Artist, I had to apply and use makeup techniques to accommodate the intense lights and camera they were performing under.
Applying male and female makeup for television and video requires different makeup applications; the female is given a full makeup application, whereas a male’s makeup must be more individualized – it should never appear feminine, artificial or obvious.
Tips for television and video makeup application for males:
- A pale skin tone should be darkened by no more than one shade.
- Use minimal foundation to achieve a natural look.
- If the 5:00 shadow appears dark and dense, a vaguely darker foundation (in addition to the dark shade you are using), must be applied to offset the beard stubble.
- A male with barely visible eyebrows should be filled in with taupe, brown or charcoal brow fill that looks masculine and natural.
- A male with minimal bottom lashes should have subtle powder eyeliner applied to give the naked eye some distinctness. The colour deposits must be close to the male’s flesh and hair tone, to look like their own natural feature.
Standard order when applying male makeup:
- Concealer is subtly applied
- Foundation is subtly applied
- Powder as needed
Additional makeup application options:
- Cream highlights and lowlights for sculpting.
- Cheek colour in bronze earth, orange bronze or tan.
- Lip colour in fleshy brown orange, fleshy brown rose.
- Eyeshadow in white matte or off white yellow.
- Eyeliner in taupe, brown or grey.
- Brows neatly trimmed, tweezed or filled in with taupe, brown or charcoal.
- Facial hair should be strengthened as needed.
There you have it Beautiful People! You are now ready for “Lights, Camera….Makeup!” Thanks again for stopping by the blog.
FOR MAKEUP AND ETIQUETTE TIPS – follow my blog: white SAND & YELLOW diamond
Vanessa is President & Founder of Studio 67 Makeup Artistry International,Ltd.
Vanessa is a MAC Cosmetics Pro Member
Credits: Photos: Kelvin I. Kellman
Material notes: The School of Professional Makeup